Although more people are at risk for Type 2 diabetes than ever before, the disease is not inevitable. No matter what your current risk profile may be, you can stabilize your blood sugar and keep it at a healthy level, using a combination of:
- natural remedies such as medicinal herbs
- dietary strategies, and
- lifestyle changes
And if you already have Type 2 diabetes, you too can benefit from including natural medicine into your treatment program. Maybe this is a herb that will help you!
Astragalus Root: Astragalus root, one of over five thousand Chinese medicinal herbs that have been used for centuries, is a well-known immune modulator, ensuring the immune system is active enough to fight disease but not so active that it destroys healthy tissues. Now scientists believe that this inexpensive, non-toxic plant could be a treatment for both Type 2 diabetes and the associated obesity.
Researchers at prestigious institutions in China, Hong Kong, and the UK have found that two compounds in astragalus root: astragaloside II and isoastragaloside I, have a very selective action on fat cells. These compounds stimulate the fat cells to release a hormone called adiponectin.
What adiponectin does:
- is to send signals to various organs in your body that enough food has been eaten and it’s not necessary to look for more
- instructs your liver not to convert its stores of glycogen into glucose. This helps keep blood sugar levels down
- instructs fat cells that it’s time to respond to insulin to take glucose and fatty acids out of your bloodstream. This is one more blood sugar lowering effect that also keeps arteries from getting “clogged” (actually, from stiffening) with fat
- it also tells your brain that enough food has been consumed and reduces your appetite
All of these effects are extremely useful for Type 2 diabetics, especially Type 2 diabetics who have a weight problem. Together they help reverse insulin resistance, which is the underlying problem for both adult-onset diabetes and weight gain. So do we all need to go out and try to find astragalus so we can brew up a tasty herbal tea?
Right now, the best way to get this herb is to see a practitioner of Traditional Chinese Medicine, who will give you the combination herbs best suited for all your symptoms. If your blood sugar levels are especially high, you might be given a “detoxifier” first and astragalus later.
Professionally dispensed herbal medicine complements your medications prescribed by your conventional doctor. It does not replace them. The boost you get by taking the right herb, however, might be exactly what you need, with your medicine, to keep your blood sugar levels in good control.